Last updated on 17th October, 2023
Scam calls have become an all-too-common annoyance in our daily lives. Whether it’s fraudulent tech support, or bogus prize notifications, these calls can be disruptive and even financially dangerous. However, there’s a powerful tool that can help us fight back and regain control: Truecaller. If you’re an iPhone user, you can follow these step-by-step instructions to set up Truecaller on your device and effectively filter out bothersome scam calls.
Setting Up Truecaller on Your iPhone
- Launch the App Store on your iPhone and initiate a search for “Truecaller.”
- Tap on the Truecaller app, then select “Get” to commence the download and installation process.
- After the installation is complete, locate the Truecaller app icon on your iPhone’s home screen and tap it to open the application.
- If you’re a new user, you’ll be prompted to create a Truecaller account. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up an account using your phone number. For existing Truecaller users, select “Already have an account?” and log in using your credentials.
- Truecaller requires specific permissions to operate effectively. When prompted, provide the app with access to your contacts and permission to manage phone calls. These permissions are vital for Truecaller to identify incoming calls and block spam/scam calls.
- Once the app is configured, whenever you receive a call from an unrecognized number, Truecaller will display the caller’s name (if available) or a warning label if the number is suspected to be spam. You can also utilize Truecaller to search for unknown numbers and check if they’ve been reported as spam by other users.
Setting Up Truecaller as Your Default Caller ID
To ensure Truecaller accurately identifies incoming calls, you can designate it as your default caller ID:
- Access the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Phone.”
- Choose “Call Blocking & Identification.”
- Select Truecaller from the list of available apps.
- This will establish Truecaller as your default Caller ID, allowing it to identify incoming calls.
Blocking and Reporting Unwanted Calls with Truecaller
If Truecaller identifies an incoming call as spam or a scam, you can easily block and report it directly from the call screen. Simply tap the ‘Block’ button, and you’ll have the option to report the number as spam. This action not only stops these unwanted calls but also contributes to improving Truecaller’s spam database, safeguarding other users from similar nuisances.
In related news, Truecaller is also exploring a partnership with the Meta-owned instant messaging app WhatsApp to combat the growing issue of spam calls on the platform.